Monday, January 2, 2012

Fighting for Nothing

I was first introduced to the song "Fighting for Nothing" by Meg and Dia in 2010, when I hated my writing. And my drawings. And myself, at times. My best friend decided to do something about it.

I've got my words
I hope they hurt you
I hope they scar you
I hope they heal you
I hope they cut you open
Make you see you've been warring
For all the wrong reasons
Make you see that some things are worth bruising for
Make you see that your hands are accounted for
Pick and choose where your sweat and your blood will go
Run their spit through your hair, you're worth nothing, nothing

We writers have our words. We write because we want to show others the pain, the hurt, and the ugliness of the world around us--show the readers their perception of the world, and why it is so wrong--and then BAM! Hope comes into the picture. Stories can heal, too.

And, dear writer, you must know that no matter what, some things are worth bruising for. Some things are worth no sleep and headaches and heartbreak when no one cares. Some things are worth the blood and sweat and tears when the critiques are too harsh and the prose is littered with too many adverbs and sentences ending with prepositions. It's always worth it.

Never give up.


You're not fighting for nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment